| FORUM | ARCHIVE |                    | TOTAL QUIZ RESULT |


  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Immigrants in you country
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login


Welcome stranger, click here to read about some of the great benefits of registering for a free account with us and joining us in our global online community.


Immigrants in you country

 Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Carcharodon View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar


Joined: 04 May 2007
Location: Northern Europe
Status: Offline
Points: 4959
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carcharodon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Immigrants in you country
    Posted: 08 Aug 2009 at 20:23

What groups of immigrants do you have in your country? Which one are most common? How are they perceived?

Here in Sweden we have refugees and other immigrants from very many countries. Today the most commmon groups are (besides those who comes from our neighbouring Nordic countries) Irak, Iran, former Yugoslavia, Poland, Somalia, Turkey, Chile. I think we have people living in Sweden who is born in over 200 different countries. Around one million Swedes are immigrants or children to immigrants.

 

As curiosa one can also mention very small groups of immigrants, for example we have 4 people born in Kiribati living here and 2 from Lichtestein. From Micronesia we have 1 (one).

Back to Top
Sponsored Links


Back to Top
Harburs View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Avatar
Chieftain

Joined: 10 Feb 2006
Location: United States
Status: Offline
Points: 3148
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Harburs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2009 at 20:59
We have immigrants from many countries specially from Afghanistan, Pakistan, Iraq, Albania, Greece, Sweden, Mongolia and so on.
"Turn yourself not away from three best things: Good Thought, Good Word, and Good Deed" Zoroaster.
Back to Top
Al Jassas View Drop Down
King
King


Joined: 07 Aug 2007
Status: Offline
Points: 5000
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Al Jassas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2009 at 21:04

Yemen.

Al-Jassas

Back to Top
Zagros View Drop Down
WorldHistoria Master
WorldHistoria Master
Avatar
Kaveh ye Ahangar

Joined: 11 Aug 2004
Location: MidX,Engelistan
Status: Offline
Points: 12491
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2009 at 21:17
..

Edited by Zagros - 04 Jun 2011 at 23:25
"There was glory in pissing, Corabb decided as he watched the stream curve out and make that familiar but unique sound as it hit the ground." So true.
Back to Top
Roberts View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Avatar

Joined: 22 Aug 2005
Location: Livonia
Status: Offline
Points: 1176
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2009 at 21:21
Latvia experieced massive wave of immigration or colonization when it was under Soviet union during the 60, 70 and 80ties. The largest group were Russians followed by smaller numbers of Ukrainians and Belorussians.




Edited by Roberts - 08 Aug 2009 at 21:22
Back to Top
gcle2003 View Drop Down
WorldHistoria Master
WorldHistoria Master
Avatar
PM Honorary Member

Joined: 06 Dec 2004
Location: Luxembourg
Status: Offline
Points: 13262
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2009 at 22:01
Speaking for Luxemourg because lots of peoplel can speak for Britain:
 
Mostly from Spain, which surprises me because there always seem to be more Portuguese and Italians around. Part of the Portuguese community is from Africa (Cap Verde) and most of the black people you see around are Portuguese speaking. The Italians have been immigrating for longer (lat 19th century) and have tended to keep up old traditions and their language, which is why you think you're meeting Italians and they turn out to be third generation Luxembourgers.
 
There aren't many German, French and Belgian residents because they tend to work here but still live in their own countries. There are quite a few Britons resident here (including some Asian Britons) and about a thousand Americans. And then there are EU civil servants from all over the Union.
 
All told Luxembourgers (including descendants of recent immigrants) account for only two-thirds of the population, even fewer in Luxembourg city.
Citizen of Ankh-Morpork.

Never believe anything until it has been officially denied - Sir Humphrey Appleby, 1984.

Back to Top
Parnell View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Avatar

Joined: 04 Apr 2007
Location: Barcelona
Status: Offline
Points: 3227
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Parnell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2009 at 23:12
We had lots of Eastern Europeans (Especially Polish) in the boom years. Some of left but quite a few have their feet under the table, so to speak, and seem to have settled in here.

There is the occassional black and brown face in Dublin and the other cities, but not in nearly the same league as the UK.
http://xkcd.com/15/



Patriotism is your conviction that this country is superior to all other countries because you were born in it. ~George Bernard Shaw
Back to Top
Kevin View Drop Down
General
General
Avatar

Joined: 27 Apr 2007
Location: United States
Status: Offline
Points: 970
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kevin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2009 at 23:43
In the United States we have many immigrant groups with the largest and foremost being Hispanic immigrants with a plurality hailing from Mexico but also from other Central and South American countries. The second largest group is Asian immigrants with most coming from China, Korea, and Vietnam, however there are also sizable groups coming from various countries in Southeast Asia as well as some from Japan. Immigrants from the Indian Subcontinent and the Middle East/Central Asia have also came to the US in considerable numbers since for a while like their Hispanic and East/Southeast Asian counterparts. African and Caribbean immigrants have been coming also in recent years and decades. The US since the collapse of the USSR has seen Russian and Eastern European immigrants in large numbers also. Especially Jewish immigrants from the former Soviet Union and Eastern Bloc, as well as to come and work and study in many parts of the US in the case of some Russian/Eastern European immigrants.

So on and so forth my nation is considered worldwide a land of immigrants and it is proving it's self to continue being one with more immigrant groups then I can possibly list. However they are a very large and diverse group.


Edited by Kevin - 08 Aug 2009 at 23:44
Back to Top
Paul View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Avatar

Joined: 21 Aug 2004
Location: Look behind You
Status: Offline
Points: 1042
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2009 at 23:51
Define immigrant, when does a person stop being an immigrant? Born in the country? Parents, grandparents born in the country. My parents are of course Irish, I'm English. My parents actually spent two thirds of their lives in England. Are any of us immigrants? I had a DNA test a while back on my mother's side I 'm apparently descended from Otzi the iceman so my ancestors probably lived in Austria 3300 years ago. Immigrant?
Back to Top
Carcharodon View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar


Joined: 04 May 2007
Location: Northern Europe
Status: Offline
Points: 4959
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carcharodon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2009 at 00:13
Originally posted by Paul Paul wrote:

Define immigrant, when does a person stop being an immigrant? Born in the country? Parents, grandparents born in the country. My parents are of course Irish, I'm English. My parents actually spent two thirds of their lives in England. Are any of us immigrants? I had a DNA test a while back on my mother's side I 'm apparently descended from Otzi the iceman so my ancestors probably lived in Austria 3300 years ago. Immigrant?
 
Well, here in Sweden we mostly define an immigrant as a person who is born outside Sweden and whose parents are not Swedish. But sometimes we also talk about second generation immigrants (born in Sweden, but with non Swedish parents). Some people even talk about third generation immigrants.
Back to Top
Kevin View Drop Down
General
General
Avatar

Joined: 27 Apr 2007
Location: United States
Status: Offline
Points: 970
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kevin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2009 at 00:13
Originally posted by Paul Paul wrote:

Define immigrant, when does a person stop being an immigrant? Born in the country? Parents, grandparents born in the country. My parents are of course Irish, I'm English. My parents actually spent two thirds of their lives in England. Are any of us immigrants? I had a DNA test a while back on my mother's side I 'm apparently descended from Otzi the iceman so my ancestors probably lived in Austria 3300 years ago. Immigrant?


I usually define immigrants as people who migrate to another land. However in most cases their children are considered natives of that land if they are born in the country their parents migrated to and so on and so forth., to put all of this quite simply.

Btw Paul I thought you were Dutch?
Back to Top
Carcharodon View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar


Joined: 04 May 2007
Location: Northern Europe
Status: Offline
Points: 4959
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carcharodon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2009 at 00:28
Originally posted by Kevin Kevin wrote:

 
So on and so forth my nation is considered worldwide a land of immigrants and it is proving it's self to continue being one with more immigrant groups then I can possibly list. However they are a very large and diverse group.
 
In old days there were many Swedes who went over there. Some are moving there also in these days.
 
But some people from USA also move to Sweden: In 2008, 15901 (8379 males and 7522 females) people from USA lived in Sweden.
Back to Top
Kevin View Drop Down
General
General
Avatar

Joined: 27 Apr 2007
Location: United States
Status: Offline
Points: 970
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kevin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2009 at 00:36
Originally posted by Carcharodon Carcharodon wrote:

Originally posted by Kevin Kevin wrote:

 
So on and so forth my nation is considered worldwide a land of immigrants and it is proving it's self to continue being one with more immigrant groups then I can possibly list. However they are a very large and diverse group.
 
In old days there were many Swedes who went over there. Some are moving there also in these days.
 
But some people from USA also move to Sweden: In 2008, 15901 (8379 males and 7522 females) people from USA lived in Sweden.


Yes there is many signs of Swedish immigration to the US, especially in parts the Northeast and Midwest.

Also that's quite a large number of Americans residing over in Sweden I would assume they ether moved to Sweden due to their job demanding it or they have a spouse or family members that are Swedish. I would also assume vice versa that's the case with the Swedes living in the US.
Back to Top
Paul View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Avatar

Joined: 21 Aug 2004
Location: Look behind You
Status: Offline
Points: 1042
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2009 at 00:46
Originally posted by Kevin Kevin wrote:

I usually define immigrants as people who migrate to another land. However in most cases their children are considered natives of that land if they are born in the country their parents migrated to and so on and so forth., to put all of this quite simply.

Btw Paul I thought you were Dutch?
 
Dutch, however did that happen, sure you're not thinking of Mix?
 
The UK system is identical to the US one you mention. I used to think it was the norm until I joined this forum. Now I realise the US and UK and a small bastion of sanity on a world obsessed with race, ethnicity, purity and crackpot ideas. It seems the idea the child of a migrant could be American of British is unique to us. Check out Barack how many people in the world consider him 100% American and not remotely African. Us!!!!


Edited by Paul - 09 Aug 2009 at 00:50
Back to Top
pinguin View Drop Down
WorldHistoria Master
WorldHistoria Master
Avatar

Joined: 29 Sep 2006
Status: Offline
Points: 15238
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pinguin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2009 at 02:24
We have many immigrants which is something relatively new. Most of them are from Peru and Argentina (hundred of thousand), but also from Ecuador and Colombia. There are a few from the tropics, like Cuban doctors, but also some few of Dominican and Colombian back women, sadly comming to  the pros industry. There are quite a bit of Chinese people as well, perhaps inn the hundred thousand.
At work I have met three American teacher, one married with Chilean, and also a coleague from Vietnam who came from the U.S.
 
Back to Top
Carcharodon View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar


Joined: 04 May 2007
Location: Northern Europe
Status: Offline
Points: 4959
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carcharodon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2009 at 06:17
In 2008 we had  28118 people living in Sweden that was born in Chile. Many of them came here during the Pinochet era, but some have also come later. Many of them has also got children born here in Sweden, and even some grandchildren.
 
Among the Chileans there are some of the Mapuche people. They have an organisation of their own here in Sweden.


Edited by Carcharodon - 09 Aug 2009 at 06:38
Back to Top
Carcharodon View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar


Joined: 04 May 2007
Location: Northern Europe
Status: Offline
Points: 4959
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carcharodon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2009 at 06:32
Originally posted by Paul Paul wrote:

The UK system is identical to the US one you mention. I used to think it was the norm until I joined this forum. Now I realise the US and UK and a small bastion of sanity on a world obsessed with race, ethnicity, purity and crackpot ideas. It seems the idea the child of a migrant could be American of British is unique to us. Check out Barack how many people in the world consider him 100% American and not remotely African. Us!!!!
 
Here we have a rahter ambivalent attitude to immigrants. They are often regarded, and even treated, differently due to where they originate. Immigrants from western countries (western Europe, USA, Kanada, Australia) are often regarded more positively than immigrants from Africa, the Middle East or South America. If they come from China, Korea or Japan they are also regarded in a positive way. Are they from India, they are a bit more discriminated. Especially when concerning jobs one can see these differencies. If you are non western you have more difficulties getting a good job, even if you have some good education.
 
With the Thais and Phillipines there seem to be a special case of relation since many Swedish men marry women from there. Some years around 1000 Swedish men married women from Thailand. Thailand has also become one of the favourite travel destinations for Swedes and some even move there.
 
(check out the thread Fetishizing Native Americans, where I tell about some of the cultural contacts between Thailand and Sweden, http://www.allempires.net/forum/fetishizing-native-americans_topic124265_page8.html)
 
And regarding muslim immigrants, well, thats a history of its own....
Back to Top
pinguin View Drop Down
WorldHistoria Master
WorldHistoria Master
Avatar

Joined: 29 Sep 2006
Status: Offline
Points: 15238
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pinguin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2009 at 06:39
@Carcha:
 
Yes, I know. Many Chileans went to Sweden, but a lot more went trhought the rest of the world. It's been calculated that circa a million Chileans left the country forever during the Pinochet era.
Chile is, perhaps, the country that lost more preople to immigrantion, per capita, in the whole world. Many escaped because of the brutal military regime but many others -like myself- went abroad looking for better opportunities. Only a small fraction ever came back home -like myself, again-.
For Chile, this event was a real disaster. Our country is relatively unpopulated. We have 757.000 squared kilometers for a population of only 16 million people.
 


Edited by pinguin - 09 Aug 2009 at 06:42
Back to Top
Styrbiorn View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar


Joined: 04 Aug 2004
Status: Offline
Points: 3608
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Styrbiorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2009 at 09:25
Originally posted by pinguin pinguin wrote:

@Carcha:
 
Yes, I know. Many Chileans went to Sweden, but a lot more went trhought the rest of the world. It's been calculated that circa a million Chileans left the country forever during the Pinochet era.
Chile is, perhaps, the country that lost more preople to immigrantion, per capita, in the whole world. Many escaped because of the brutal military regime but many others -like myself- went abroad looking for better opportunities. Only a small fraction ever came back home -like myself, again-.
For Chile, this event was a real disaster. Our country is relatively unpopulated. We have 757.000 squared kilometers for a population of only 16 million people.
 

1 million out of 15 isn't that much. 1.3 out of 5 million left Sweden in the end of 19th century, and 800,000 Norwegians out of a population of a little more than 2 million. I suspect the Norwegians have the record in percentage.

Back to Top
es_bih View Drop Down
Council Member
Council Member
Avatar

Joined: 20 Dec 2006
Status: Offline
Points: 6381
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote es_bih Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2009 at 09:26
Originally posted by Kevin Kevin wrote:

In the United States we have many immigrant groups with the largest and foremost being Hispanic immigrants with a plurality hailing from Mexico but also from other Central and South American countries. The second largest group is Asian immigrants with most coming from China, Korea, and Vietnam, however there are also sizable groups coming from various countries in Southeast Asia as well as some from Japan. Immigrants from the Indian Subcontinent and the Middle East/Central Asia have also came to the US in considerable numbers since for a while like their Hispanic and East/Southeast Asian counterparts. African and Caribbean immigrants have been coming also in recent years and decades. The US since the collapse of the USSR has seen Russian and Eastern European immigrants in large numbers also. Especially Jewish immigrants from the former Soviet Union and Eastern Bloc, as well as to come and work and study in many parts of the US in the case of some Russian/Eastern European immigrants.

So on and so forth my nation is considered worldwide a land of immigrants and it is proving it's self to continue being one with more immigrant groups then I can possibly list. However they are a very large and diverse group.


The biggest immigrant group in the US are the European descendants actually, counting into hundreds of millions...


Back to Top
Styrbiorn View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar


Joined: 04 Aug 2004
Status: Offline
Points: 3608
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Styrbiorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2009 at 09:39
Originally posted by Carcharodon Carcharodon wrote:

 
With the Thais and Phillipines there seem to be a special case of relation since many Swedish men marry women from there. Some years around 1000 Swedish men married women from Thailand. Thailand has also become one of the favourite travel destinations for Swedes and some even move there.

Wrong conclusion. The "special case" is not because of Swedes marrying Thai; Swedes are marrying Thai of the same reason there is a "special case". Which it really isn't. Thailand have had good relations with Sweden since the 19th century and istoday a popular travel destination. Many Swedes have moved there, permanently or temporarily, and vice versa. Thai and Swedes blend in pretty well, and even if it's two peoples from different sides of the world there are no major culture crashes as with eg Middle Easterners or Somali. Swedes would marry Turks too if they didn't get a million angry cousins after them Wink



Edited by Styrbiorn - 09 Aug 2009 at 10:01
Back to Top
Carcharodon View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar


Joined: 04 May 2007
Location: Northern Europe
Status: Offline
Points: 4959
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carcharodon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2009 at 10:57
I did not say that the marriages where the original reason. If you check the thread about fetischizing Native Americans I mention something about the old connections and also about Thai king Chulalongkorns visit to Sweden. I also mention the story about the pavillion and about the story with the Swedish sailor who supposedly should have saved the Kings daughter.
But soem of Swedes current affliction with Thai women comes from the era when Swedish men went there to get cheap sex.
This later developed to ordinary tourism and also to Swedes marrying women from Thailand. Sometimes though one can hear one or another critic voice about that as some journalist who recently wrote about us seing Thailand as a sort of colony.
 
Today Thailand is as you say a very popular destination for Swedes who long for some sun, bath and so called exotic culture. And as you say, Swedes and Thais blend fairly well. And many Swedes move there too, mostly normal people but also one or another crook.
 
One can in this context notice that in 2008 there lived 25 858 people from Thailand in Sweden, 20156 of these were women and 5702 men. Many of these women are married to Swedish men.
 
Back to Top
gcle2003 View Drop Down
WorldHistoria Master
WorldHistoria Master
Avatar
PM Honorary Member

Joined: 06 Dec 2004
Location: Luxembourg
Status: Offline
Points: 13262
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2009 at 11:33
Defining an immigrant as someone who migrates is somewhat circular.
 
Personally, I suppose if pushed I would take an 'immigrant' to be someone who arrives in a country with the intention of settling there. I guess that is more or less equivalent, in international legal jargon, to say an immigrant is someone who was not born in a country, and is not just resident but also domiciled there.
 
'Guest workers' would therefore not be immigrants.
 
Of course in current political-speak 'immigrant' means someone who does that and is poor.
Citizen of Ankh-Morpork.

Never believe anything until it has been officially denied - Sir Humphrey Appleby, 1984.

Back to Top
calvo View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain


Joined: 20 May 2007
Status: Offline
Points: 1357
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote calvo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2009 at 12:26
Originally posted by Paul Paul wrote:

The UK system is identical to the US one you mention. I used to think it was the norm until I joined this forum. Now I realise the US and UK and a small bastion of sanity on a world obsessed with race, ethnicity, purity and crackpot ideas. It seems the idea the child of a migrant could be American of British is unique to us. Check out Barack how many people in the world consider him 100% American and not remotely African. Us!!!!
 
I wouldn't say that it's just the UK and US. In most western European countries people accept the fact that anybody born in the country who has the passport is a "national". Look at France, 1/3 of French people have at least one or more parents or grandparents who are immigrants, yet they are still considered French.
The obsession with ethnicity and purity occurs more in regions with a history of nationalistic conflict, tribalism, and ethnic conflict. Regarding "racial purity", the people that I've met who are most obsessed about it tend to be Americans. The idea of "biological race" is not very deep-rooted in continental Europe.
Back to Top
Parnell View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Avatar

Joined: 04 Apr 2007
Location: Barcelona
Status: Offline
Points: 3227
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Parnell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2009 at 14:22
Originally posted by calvo calvo wrote:

Originally posted by Paul Paul wrote:

The UK system is identical to the US one you mention. I used to think it was the norm until I joined this forum. Now I realise the US and UK and a small bastion of sanity on a world obsessed with race, ethnicity, purity and crackpot ideas. It seems the idea the child of a migrant could be American of British is unique to us. Check out Barack how many people in the world consider him 100% American and not remotely African. Us!!!!
 
I wouldn't say that it's just the UK and US. In most western European countries people accept the fact that anybody born in the country who has the passport is a "national". Look at France, 1/3 of French people have at least one or more parents or grandparents who are immigrants, yet they are still considered French.
The obsession with ethnicity and purity occurs more in regions with a history of nationalistic conflict, tribalism, and ethnic conflict. Regarding "racial purity", the people that I've met who are most obsessed about it tend to be Americans. The idea of "biological race" is not very deep-rooted in continental Europe.


At the same time, the UK system is an example to all. How many black and brown people do Britain have who are so widely considered 'national' icons, usually second or third generation immigrants?
http://xkcd.com/15/



Patriotism is your conviction that this country is superior to all other countries because you were born in it. ~George Bernard Shaw
Back to Top
Kevin View Drop Down
General
General
Avatar

Joined: 27 Apr 2007
Location: United States
Status: Offline
Points: 970
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kevin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2009 at 15:48
Originally posted by es_bih es_bih wrote:

Originally posted by Kevin Kevin wrote:

In the United States we have many immigrant groups with the largest and foremost being Hispanic immigrants with a plurality hailing from Mexico but also from other Central and South American countries. The second largest group is Asian immigrants with most coming from China, Korea, and Vietnam, however there are also sizable groups coming from various countries in Southeast Asia as well as some from Japan. Immigrants from the Indian Subcontinent and the Middle East/Central Asia have also came to the US in considerable numbers since for a while like their Hispanic and East/Southeast Asian counterparts. African and Caribbean immigrants have been coming also in recent years and decades. The US since the collapse of the USSR has seen Russian and Eastern European immigrants in large numbers also. Especially Jewish immigrants from the former Soviet Union and Eastern Bloc, as well as to come and work and study in many parts of the US in the case of some Russian/Eastern European immigrants.

So on and so forth my nation is considered worldwide a land of immigrants and it is proving it's self to continue being one with more immigrant groups then I can possibly list. However they are a very large and diverse group.


The biggest immigrant group in the US are the European descendants actually, counting into hundreds of millions...




Yes,

However I was talking about much more recent groups of immigrants that have came to the US


Edited by Kevin - 09 Aug 2009 at 15:48
Back to Top
pinguin View Drop Down
WorldHistoria Master
WorldHistoria Master
Avatar

Joined: 29 Sep 2006
Status: Offline
Points: 15238
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pinguin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2009 at 19:02
Originally posted by calvo calvo wrote:

...The obsession with ethnicity and purity occurs more in regions with a history of nationalistic conflict, tribalism, and ethnic conflict. Regarding "racial purity", the people that I've met who are most obsessed about it tend to be Americans. The idea of "biological race" is not very deep-rooted in continental Europe.
 
Obviously Europe haven't had the diversity of the Americas up to recent times. Wait for more non-caucasians to flood Europe and see if the "obsession with ethnicity and purity" isn't wake up suddenly in Europe, too.
Back to Top
Flipper View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Avatar

Joined: 23 Apr 2006
Location: Anatolia&Balkan
Status: Offline
Points: 2798
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2011 at 08:54
Because of the geographical position of Greece, it has huge amount of immigrants. Africans (usually from Ethiopia and Nigeria) and Filipinos have the longest presence with over 50 years now. Polish and Albanians came later. All of the aforementioned are very well integrated into the Greek society. The last 10-15 years there was a massive wave of Pakistanis, Afghans, Bangladesh, Hindu and Chinese that came. Kurds from eastern Turkey and Iraq are also great in  numbers. People from central Asian countries are also coming steadily. Some of them have some grandfather or grandmother of Greek ancestry (proven on paper) and usually get easily a residence permission. North Africans such as Moroccans, Tunisians, Algerians etc are numerous as well. As for Egyptians, Jews and Armenians I do not mention a lot since there have always been present here. Middle eastern people like Palestinians, Syrians and Lebanese are strong in presence as well. Last but not least, as expected many Balkan nationalities move to Greece, especially from Bulgaria, Romania and Moldova.


FΑΝΑΚΤΟΥ ΜΙΔΑ ΓΟΝΟΣ
Back to Top
Omar al Hashim View Drop Down
WorldHistoria Master
WorldHistoria Master


Joined: 05 Jan 2006
Location: Bush Capital
Status: Offline
Points: 7830
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Omar al Hashim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2011 at 12:29
Mostly British and Irish.
They just couldn't Stop the Boats, they arrived in such numbers there was nothing anyone could do.
Back to Top
Kirghiz View Drop Down
Knight
Knight
Avatar

Joined: 25 Feb 2011
Status: Offline
Points: 98
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kirghiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2011 at 20:24
Amigos! Mex
Back to Top
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic   

Forum Jump Forum Permissions View Drop Down

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.10
Copyright ©2001-2017 Web Wiz Ltd.

This page was generated in 0.098 seconds.