| FORUM | ARCHIVE |                    | TOTAL QUIZ RESULT |


  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Japan gave up on whale hunting
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login


Welcome stranger, click here to read about some of the great benefits of registering for a free account with us and joining us in our global online community.


Japan gave up on whale hunting

 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
pinguin View Drop Down
WorldHistoria Master
WorldHistoria Master
Avatar

Joined: 29 Sep 2006
Status: Offline
Points: 15238
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pinguin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Japan gave up on whale hunting
    Posted: 19 Feb 2011 at 04:28
First, watch this video, to see what a whale feels.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sIPXvfEVKPs

Now, the good news:

Japan abandons Antarctic whaling season

Updated Fri Feb 18, 2011 6:59pm AEDT


You can see the full story, here.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2011/02/18/3142639.htm


Congrats Sea Sheppered!









Edited by pinguin - 19 Feb 2011 at 04:33
Back to Top
Sponsored Links


Back to Top
pinguin View Drop Down
WorldHistoria Master
WorldHistoria Master
Avatar

Joined: 29 Sep 2006
Status: Offline
Points: 15238
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pinguin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2011 at 04:42
And the war is serious


Back to Top
pinguin View Drop Down
WorldHistoria Master
WorldHistoria Master
Avatar

Joined: 29 Sep 2006
Status: Offline
Points: 15238
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pinguin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2011 at 05:00
The full news:

http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/World-News/Japan-Ends-Whale-Hunting-Early-After-Harrassment-By-Sea-Shepherd-Conservation-Society-Activists/Article/201102315936080?lpos=World_News_Second_Home_Page_Article_Teaser_Region_2&lid=ARTICLE_15936080_Japan_Ends_Whale_Hunting_Early_After_Harrassment_By_Sea_Shepherd_Conservation_Society_Activists

Japan Ends Whale Hunt After 'Harassment'


7:53pm UK, Friday February 18, 2011

Steph Oliver, Sky News online

Japan has abandoned its annual Antarctic whale hunt before the end of the season because of "repeated harassment" by US activists.

Japanese officials confirmed the boats will return home after the Sea Shepherd Conservation Society (SSCS) made it impossible for them to continue.

The fleet, which is made up of 180 people on four vessels, is heading back a month earlier than scheduled.

The hunters have already killed 170 minke whales, but this is only a fifth of their intended target catch of 850 whales.

"It has become difficult to secure the fleet's safety. We have no choice but to cut short our research," Japanese fisheries minister Michihiko Kano said.

In the last few weeks the protesters from the international non-profit organisation have thrown red paint, smoke bombs and rancid butter in bottles toward the whaling ships.

Japanese whaling fleet vessel Yushin Maru No. 3 sprays water cannons at Sea Shepherd vessel

Whaling vessel sprays water at Sea Shepherd boat

They also got a rope entangled in the propeller of one of the harpoon vessels, causing it to slow down.

The hunt had been temporarily halted last week when the campaigners chased the Japanese fleet's mother ship - the Nisshin Maru, for 2,000 miles.

This is the first time the country has cited activist pressure as a reason for ending a whaling season prematurely.

The SSCS, who is considered a 'terrorist group' by many in Japan, said the decision was "great news" and it would keep up the pressure next year.

Captain Paul Watson from Sea Shepherds, who is on board the Steve Irwin, 2000 miles south-east of New Zealand in the Ross Sea, told Sky News via Skype: "After seven years the crew are excited that we can go home with a victory.

Sea Shepherd activists in a dinghy boat throw smoke bombs toward to Japanese whaling fleet vessel Yushin Maru

An activists throws a smoke bomb towards a whaling boat

"Every year we have come down stronger and they have come down weaker. Financially the whaling industry is in trouble and we are the reason for that."

He added: "What we were able to do is find a way from preventing them from whaling.We were physically able to shut them down. We are aggressive but non-violent and we don't break laws."

Clashes between whalers and the activists have escalated over the last few years.

The group introduced a new high-speed ship after one of their boats sank following a collision with a Japanese whaling ship last year.

In this Feb. 9, 2011 photo released by The Institute of Cetacean Research, an incendiary device fired by Sea Shepherd Conservation Society activists aboard high-speed trimaran Gojira burns in the research mother ship Nisshin Maru bow deck in the seas off Antarctica.

A device is fired by activists aboard a whaling vessel

And a campaigner was given a two-year suspended jail term by a Japanese court in July for boarding a whaling ship from a jet ski.

Japan introduced "scientific" whaling to evade the commercial whaling ban introduced in 1986, arguing it had a right to monitor the whales' impact on its fishing industry.

Last year, Australia filed a complaint against Japan at the World Court in The Hague to stop scientific whaling in the Southern Ocean.

The decision is expected to come in 2013 or later.


Back to Top
pinguin View Drop Down
WorldHistoria Master
WorldHistoria Master
Avatar

Joined: 29 Sep 2006
Status: Offline
Points: 15238
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pinguin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2011 at 05:20
Oppinions?
Back to Top
Panther View Drop Down
Moderator
Moderator
Avatar
Editorial Staff

Joined: 20 Jan 2006
Location: Texas
Status: Offline
Points: 4541
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Panther Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2011 at 05:56
Opinions... hmmm, i don't know, A sore sticky subject indeed! A tans-national attempt at forced assimilation in subjugating a peoples way of life and palate that goes back nearly a millennium, perhaps?

Well it ought to make environmentalist and animal lovers happy, though i am not sure what it says for those who argue(d) for native and victim rights?

Rather interesting how this issue may be resolved amongst them, if it has ever been acknowledged at all?


Edited by Panther - 19 Feb 2011 at 05:58
Back to Top
Carcharodon View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar


Joined: 04 May 2007
Location: Northern Europe
Status: Offline
Points: 4959
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carcharodon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2011 at 10:28
Originally posted by Panther Panther wrote:

Opinions... hmmm, i don't know, A sore sticky subject indeed! A tans-national attempt at forced assimilation in subjugating a peoples way of life and palate that goes back nearly a millennium, perhaps?
 
Well it ought to make environmentalist and animal lovers happy, though i am not sure what it says for those who argue(d) for native and victim rights?

Rather interesting how this issue may be resolved amongst them, if it has ever been acknowledged at all?
 
Do not forget that this whaling does not take place on Japanese territory but in a completely different place on earth. How far from Japan does Japanese traditional rights go?


Edited by Carcharodon - 19 Feb 2011 at 10:29
Back to Top
Zagros View Drop Down
WorldHistoria Master
WorldHistoria Master
Avatar
Kaveh ye Ahangar

Joined: 11 Aug 2004
Location: MidX,Engelistan
Status: Offline
Points: 12491
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2011 at 10:41
I wonder what they'll do when there are no whales left for them to hunt.  How will their traditions survive I wonder?  They have already bared the seas around themselves, them and the Chinese.

Industrial whaling is frivolous.
"There was glory in pissing, Corabb decided as he watched the stream curve out and make that familiar but unique sound as it hit the ground." So true.
Back to Top
pinguin View Drop Down
WorldHistoria Master
WorldHistoria Master
Avatar

Joined: 29 Sep 2006
Status: Offline
Points: 15238
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pinguin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2011 at 11:49
Originally posted by Panther Panther wrote:

Opinions... hmmm, i don't know, A sore sticky subject indeed! A tans-national attempt at forced assimilation in subjugating a peoples way of life and palate that goes back nearly a millennium, perhaps?

Well it ought to make environmentalist and animal lovers happy, though i am not sure what it says for those who argue(d) for native and victim rights?

Rather interesting how this issue may be resolved amongst them, if it has ever been acknowledged at all?


Japan hunts whales in international waters, whales that made friendly visits to Australia, New Zealand and Chile as well, where they are welcome.

Japanese turn this whales in disgusting sushi. Confused

And yes, primitive peoples, like these sushi heating Japanese, Norwegians and Icelanders, that like to be savages, must be civilized forcefully.

Since years ago, I wondered by our navies didn't torpedo these Japanese fleets, but I see that the Sea Sheperds had a better method.






Back to Top
pinguin View Drop Down
WorldHistoria Master
WorldHistoria Master
Avatar

Joined: 29 Sep 2006
Status: Offline
Points: 15238
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pinguin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2011 at 11:51
Originally posted by Carcharodon Carcharodon wrote:

 
Do not forget that this whaling does not take place on Japanese territory but in a completely different place on earth. How far from Japan does Japanese traditional rights go?


Absolutely. Japan doesn't own the international waters. Besides, Japan doesn't care for the survival of the whales. Japan doesn't care about the economical benefits that whale watching has for the countries around the pacific, either. Even more, they kill whales just to preserve theirs stupid traditions and theirs disgusting sushi. Why don't they better eat burgers instead?


Edited by pinguin - 19 Feb 2011 at 11:53
Back to Top
pinguin View Drop Down
WorldHistoria Master
WorldHistoria Master
Avatar

Joined: 29 Sep 2006
Status: Offline
Points: 15238
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pinguin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2011 at 11:54
Originally posted by Zagros Zagros wrote:

I wonder what they'll do when there are no whales left for them to hunt.  How will their traditions survive I wonder?  They have already bared the seas around themselves, them and the Chinese.


I wonder why there hasn't been an international campain to stop buying Japanese goods.

Finally, does japanese believe we are so stupid to accept they are doing "research"? Confused

Sayonara.


Edited by pinguin - 19 Feb 2011 at 11:55
Back to Top
cahaya View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Avatar
The Auror

Joined: 05 Oct 2005
Location: SE Asia
Status: Offline
Points: 1810
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cahaya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2011 at 15:07
what they do with whale? shashimi? sushi? how does it taste? instead of hunting wild whales.. why don't we farm them? a genetic engineer or scientist or whoever should come up with a compact, smaller-sized and high quality whale for easy breeding in large tank or caged farming in open sea.
 
instead of whale.. better go for tuna.. japs taste in food.. kinda weird, at least for me.
Back to Top
gcle2003 View Drop Down
WorldHistoria Master
WorldHistoria Master
Avatar
PM Honorary Member

Joined: 06 Dec 2004
Location: Luxembourg
Status: Offline
Points: 13262
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2011 at 15:39
Originally posted by pinguin pinguin wrote:

Originally posted by Carcharodon Carcharodon wrote:

 
Do not forget that this whaling does not take place on Japanese territory but in a completely different place on earth. How far from Japan does Japanese traditional rights go?


Absolutely. Japan doesn't own the international waters.
Neither does anyone else. Traditionally therefore law on the high seas is governed by international agreement, and unless anything is internationally agreed to be a crime (like piracy) it's free for anyone to do what they want. 
 
Admittedly England at one time clamed sovereignty over the sea, but it's a long time since she was able to enforce it and anyway the claim was dropped before the power ran out.
Citizen of Ankh-Morpork.

Never believe anything until it has been officially denied - Sir Humphrey Appleby, 1984.

Back to Top
pinguin View Drop Down
WorldHistoria Master
WorldHistoria Master
Avatar

Joined: 29 Sep 2006
Status: Offline
Points: 15238
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pinguin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2011 at 15:45
Better piracy than whale hunting, I think.

And I repeat my congrats to Sea Sheppard.



Back to Top
pinguin View Drop Down
WorldHistoria Master
WorldHistoria Master
Avatar

Joined: 29 Sep 2006
Status: Offline
Points: 15238
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pinguin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2011 at 15:46
Originally posted by cahaya cahaya wrote:

what they do with whale? shashimi? sushi? how does it taste? instead of hunting wild whales.. why don't we farm them? a genetic engineer or scientist or whoever should come up with a compact, smaller-sized and high quality whale for easy breeding in large tank or caged farming in open sea.
 
instead of whale.. better go for tuna.. japs taste in food.. kinda weird, at least for me.


Yes, they could buy farm grown salmon, and leave the whales alone.
Back to Top
Styrbiorn View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar


Joined: 04 Aug 2004
Status: Offline
Points: 3608
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Styrbiorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2011 at 13:33
Originally posted by pinguin pinguin wrote:

Oppinions?

Pirates should be sunk.
Back to Top
pinguin View Drop Down
WorldHistoria Master
WorldHistoria Master
Avatar

Joined: 29 Sep 2006
Status: Offline
Points: 15238
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pinguin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2011 at 14:02
Not before they sunk all those whale killers.
Back to Top
whalebreath View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun
Avatar

Joined: 01 Jan 2009
Status: Offline
Points: 244
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whalebreath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2011 at 18:34
From what I see of the commentary here none of you have ever seen a Cetacean outside of a marine park.

Cetacea are no smarter than the average dog and lots of people eat dogs.

In addition they are so common place that here in British Columbia disposing of dead Grey Whale carcasses has become an issue for local Govt-here'a vid one 5 minutes from my house in downtown Vancouver


Not exactly a prize specimen but it does show how common they are.

Back to Top
pinguin View Drop Down
WorldHistoria Master
WorldHistoria Master
Avatar

Joined: 29 Sep 2006
Status: Offline
Points: 15238
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pinguin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2011 at 19:03
Here we got blue whales. Those, among other species, are the ones we want to save.
Back to Top
Dolphin View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Avatar
Teaman to the Society of Dilettanti

Joined: 06 Feb 2007
Location: Lindalino
Status: Offline
Points: 2766
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2011 at 19:13
Originally posted by whalebreath whalebreath wrote:

From what I see of the commentary here none of you have ever seen a Cetacean outside of a marine park.

Cetacea are no smarter than the average dog and lots of people eat dogs.

In addition they are so common place that here in British Columbia disposing of dead Grey Whale carcasses has become an issue for local Govt-here'a vid one 5 minutes from my house in downtown Vancouver


Not exactly a prize specimen but it does show how common they are.


There are many species of whale, some are common some are not.

Studies of particular whale species do not back up your assertion about intelligence either. I am speaking as someone who doesn't encounter whales yes, but a little research on the topic makes it pretty clear that the hunting of an apex mammal is not a smart thing to do. I think you are being far too dismissive of quite a complex issue.




Edited by Dolphin - 20 Feb 2011 at 19:14
Back to Top
Omar al Hashim View Drop Down
WorldHistoria Master
WorldHistoria Master


Joined: 05 Jan 2006
Location: Bush Capital
Status: Offline
Points: 7830
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Omar al Hashim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2011 at 22:38
There is nothing wrong with whaling as long as populations are carefully managed.
 
Enivironmentalists (and most Australians & Kiwis) have elevated Whales to a venerated semi-religious status beyond all logic.
 
Whaling was taken to an extreme, and deserved to be banned for a time for population recovery. However as numbers recover we can gradually introduce heavily regulated whaling again.
 
After all, space research depends on whale oil as a lubricant. And we already lost the originals of the moon landing tape to lack of whale oil!
Back to Top
pinguin View Drop Down
WorldHistoria Master
WorldHistoria Master
Avatar

Joined: 29 Sep 2006
Status: Offline
Points: 15238
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pinguin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2011 at 22:59
Originally posted by Omar al Hashim Omar al Hashim wrote:

There is nothing wrong with whaling as long as populations are carefully managed.


Don't agree. And I wouldn't say Japanese carefully manage this resources.
 
Originally posted by Omar al Hashim Omar al Hashim wrote:


Enivironmentalists (and most Australians & Kiwis) have elevated Whales to a venerated semi-religious status beyond all logic.


Absurd accusation. It is not only Australians and Kiwis. Most countries of the world don't hunt whales! Why these Japanese should have license to do it?
 
Originally posted by Omar al Hashim Omar al Hashim wrote:


Whaling was taken to an extreme, and deserved to be banned for a time for population recovery. However as numbers recover we can gradually introduce heavily regulated whaling again.


If Japanese (and Norwegians and Icelanders) keep whaling those populations will never recover! They are way below theirs historical numbers.
 
 
Originally posted by Omar al Hashim Omar al Hashim wrote:


After all, space research depends on whale oil as a lubricant. And we already lost the originals of the moon landing tape to lack of whale oil!


It is very absurd that space travel must depend on whale oil. If so, it is simply because economical reasons. How come so many  scientists can't synthetize something better.

Besides, there is other ways to extract value from whales. Tourists love to see whales, and for countries around the world, including my own, whale watching is a source of revenue.

Back to Top
Dolphin View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Avatar
Teaman to the Society of Dilettanti

Joined: 06 Feb 2007
Location: Lindalino
Status: Offline
Points: 2766
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2011 at 23:07
Originally posted by Omar al Hashim Omar al Hashim wrote:

There is nothing wrong with whaling as long as populations are carefully managed.
 
Enivironmentalists (and most Australians & Kiwis) have elevated Whales to a venerated semi-religious status beyond all logic.
 
Whaling was taken to an extreme, and deserved to be banned for a time for population recovery. However as numbers recover we can gradually introduce heavily regulated whaling again.
 
After all, space research depends on whale oil as a lubricant. And we already lost the originals of the moon landing tape to lack of whale oil!

I love this cool rationality approach, it makes everything seem so clear cut. Whale oil is essentially the substance that holds your argument together, as without it, whaling would have no logical grounding to support it. Do you not think that a company than can produce machines complex enough to send humans to space could also come up with a sufficient synthetic lubricant alternative?

Without whale oil, is there any decent argument in support of commercial whaling? Apart from keeping 'logical', and raping the sea of whales just to remain consistent with our current destruction of other marine creatures? 

Back to Top
pinguin View Drop Down
WorldHistoria Master
WorldHistoria Master
Avatar

Joined: 29 Sep 2006
Status: Offline
Points: 15238
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pinguin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2011 at 23:11
If space travel needs whale oil, I wonder if it need some ivory gears as well. Who knows, perhaps the astronaut suits are made of jaguar skins... LOL
But I bet that some magic tiger claws are put by the chinese into the hydrogen tanks, to prevent explosions...

Who knows.


Edited by pinguin - 20 Feb 2011 at 23:12
Back to Top
Dolphin View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Avatar
Teaman to the Society of Dilettanti

Joined: 06 Feb 2007
Location: Lindalino
Status: Offline
Points: 2766
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2011 at 23:21
Originally posted by pinguin pinguin wrote:

If space travel needs whale oil, I wonder if it need some ivory gears as well. Who knows, perhaps the astronaut suits are made of jaguar skins... LOL
But I bet that some magic tiger claws are put by the chinese into the hydrogen tanks, to prevent explosions...

Who knows.

I have to say, that made me lol LOL


Back to Top
pinguin View Drop Down
WorldHistoria Master
WorldHistoria Master
Avatar

Joined: 29 Sep 2006
Status: Offline
Points: 15238
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pinguin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2011 at 23:27
The myth comes from History Channel I am afraid, and points to the Hubble telescope.

http://community.history.com/topic/13188/t/Whale-oil-used-to-lube-Hubble.html
Back to Top
Omar al Hashim View Drop Down
WorldHistoria Master
WorldHistoria Master


Joined: 05 Jan 2006
Location: Bush Capital
Status: Offline
Points: 7830
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Omar al Hashim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2011 at 00:20

Originally posted by Penguin Penguin wrote:

Don't agree. And I wouldn't say Japanese carefully manage this resources.

To the first point: Why not? To make an extreme example if there are a million whales why can't the Japs kill one to eat it?
To the second point: Possibly true. I don't really know, but their fisheries don't have a reputation for careful management.
Quote Absurd accusation. It is not only Australians and Kiwis. Most countries of the world don't hunt whales! Why these Japanese should have license to do it?

I don't eat Guinea Pigs that doesn't mean I'm going to stop South Americans from doing so.
Quote If Japanese (and Norwegians and Icelanders) keep whaling those populations will never recover! They are way below theirs historical numbers.

And I'm quite happy to support a ban until numbers do recovery. No-one gains anything from hunting something to extinction.
Quote Besides, there is other ways to extract value from whales. Tourists love to see whales, and for countries around the world, including my own, whale watching is a source of revenue

Yes, in fact the coast near me - once famous for hunting whales - now runs a more profitable buisness in viewing them. A service I have partaken in a number of times.
I don't see any contradiction between the two however. If the whalers in twofold bay earn more money from whale watching than whale hunting then let them watch. If the opposite becomes true, and they can do it sustainably, then let the hunt again.
The problem was never hunting whales per se, it was overhunting them.
Originally posted by Dolphin Dolphin wrote:

I love this cool rationality approach, it makes everything seem so clear cut. Whale oil is essentially the substance that holds your argument together, as without it, whaling would have no logical grounding to support it. Do you not think that a company than can produce machines complex enough to send humans to space could also come up with a sufficient synthetic lubricant alternative?


Without whale oil, is there any decent argument in support of commercial whaling? Apart from keeping 'logical', and raping the sea of whales just to remain consistent with our current destruction of other marine creatures?


Well, Pinguins link seems to throw some doubt on the lubricant theory, but I don't see it as essential to the argument at all.
I like eating beef, wearing cow leather, and drinking cow milk. All three of those things can be aquired from sheep as well. So there is no real reason for farming cattle over sheep other than that I prefer cow milk to sheep milk.
I use no products from whales other than the aforementioned looking at them, but the Japanese like the taste of them. So why shouldn't the Japanese be permitted to eat them? Provided of course that they can do so sustainably, which is not possible at the present time (with the possible exception of minkes, or so they say at least).

Back to Top
Zagros View Drop Down
WorldHistoria Master
WorldHistoria Master
Avatar
Kaveh ye Ahangar

Joined: 11 Aug 2004
Location: MidX,Engelistan
Status: Offline
Points: 12491
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2011 at 00:23
Originally posted by whalebreath whalebreath wrote:

From what I see of the commentary here none of you have ever seen a Cetacean outside of a marine park.




Never been to a Marine park.  But whales compose many different species.  Humpbacks, which the Japs so long to perform scientific sushi research on, for example, are endangered.
"There was glory in pissing, Corabb decided as he watched the stream curve out and make that familiar but unique sound as it hit the ground." So true.
Back to Top
pinguin View Drop Down
WorldHistoria Master
WorldHistoria Master
Avatar

Joined: 29 Sep 2006
Status: Offline
Points: 15238
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pinguin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2011 at 00:42
Originally posted by Omar al Hashim Omar al Hashim wrote:

To the first point: Why not? To make an extreme example if there are a million whales why can't the Japs kill one to eat it?
To the second point: Possibly true. I don't really know, but their fisheries don't have a reputation for careful management.

Because there aren't a million whales. I don't oppose to hunt rabbits or deers, because they have booming populations. That's not the case of whales at all.

Originally posted by Omar al Hashim Omar al Hashim wrote:


I don't eat Guinea Pigs that doesn't mean I'm going to stop South Americans from doing so.
[quote]If Japanese (and Norwegians and Icelanders) keep whaling those populations will never recover! They are way below theirs historical numbers.

I don't eat cuyes either (That's the real name, not that absurd name invented by ignorant english sailors). But, you should now the cuy is a DOMESTIC animal, not part of the wild life as a vizcacha or another rodents.

East Asians not only eat whales, but dog, serpents, brain of alive monkeys, sewer rats, and wathever moves or jump. Theirs variety of food is amazing. I don't think that a restriction in whale meat will make them to starve.

Originally posted by Omar al Hashim Omar al Hashim wrote:


And I'm quite happy to support a ban until numbers do recovery. No-one gains anything from hunting something to extinction.

That's exactly the problem with some species, like the blue whales.

Originally posted by Omar al Hashim Omar al Hashim wrote:

Yes, in fact the coast near me - once famous for hunting whales - now runs a more profitable buisness in viewing them. A service I have partaken in a number of times.
I don't see any contradiction between the two however. If the whalers in twofold bay earn more money from whale watching than whale hunting then let them watch. If the opposite becomes true, and they can do it sustainably, then let the hunt again.

Not by now.

Originally posted by Omar al Hashim Omar al Hashim wrote:

Well, Pinguins link seems to throw some doubt on the lubricant theory, but I don't see it as essential to the argument at all.
I like eating beef, wearing cow leather, and drinking cow milk. All three of those things can be aquired from sheep as well. So there is no real reason for farming cattle over sheep other than that I prefer cow milk to sheep milk.

You may forbid eating cow meat for religious reasons (Hinduism) for example. But there is not an "ecological" reason to ban eating cow, giving the fact that species only survives thanks to theirs relation to humans.

Now, if you try to eat buffalo meat by hunting, giving the small numbers of them in nature, that would be a ecological disaster. Buffalo meat is available in the market, but only from buffalo farms, not from the wild. In the Andes, people eat Llama and alpaca meat, which are domestic species. However, eating guanaco or vicuna meat, which are wild species, is banned.

Originally posted by Omar al Hashim Omar al Hashim wrote:


I use no products from whales other than the aforementioned looking at them, but the Japanese like the taste of them. So why shouldn't the Japanese be permitted to eat them? Provided of course that they can do so sustainably, which is not possible at the present time (with the possible exception of minkes, or so they say at least).



Because people of the world care more about whale survival rather than about the idiotic traditions and tastes of japanese.

Watch this commercial that show the feelings

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sIPXvfEVKPs
Back to Top
pinguin View Drop Down
WorldHistoria Master
WorldHistoria Master
Avatar

Joined: 29 Sep 2006
Status: Offline
Points: 15238
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pinguin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2011 at 01:05
However, I recognize I am wrong. Not all Japanese want to eat whale meat. It is the corrupt Japanese government which is pushing this product beyond the demand.
Japanese talking about the topic:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/blog/2011/feb/08/whaling-japan

http://www.greenpeace.org/australia/news-and-events/opinion/japanese-perspective-on-whalin

Back to Top
drgonzaga View Drop Down
King
King
Avatar
Plus Ultra

Joined: 01 Oct 2005
Status: Offline
Points: 6262
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drgonzaga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2011 at 05:32
Save the Krill from rapaceous Cetaceans!
 
As for the extra-legal actions of self-appointed entities attacking licensed vessels on the high seas under the premise of "ecotage"--
 
 
--these actions should be dealt with under the tried-and-true Laws of the Sea, sink them! Were they on land these vigilantes would be summarily dealt with and certainly shown "no quarter".
Honi soit qui mal y pense
Back to Top
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic   

Forum Jump Forum Permissions View Drop Down

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.10
Copyright ©2001-2017 Web Wiz Ltd.

This page was generated in 0.109 seconds.